Friday, March 31, 2006

The All Bran Challenge...

Hubris. Not good. Especially if you've got a stoma.

Settled down to breakfast yesterday and fancied a bowl of All Bran. Good for the system I thought...

Not my system. A few hours later, my tummy started swelling and churning and for most of the rest of the day I was changing bags every 2 hours or so as they popped off under the pressure. Never again.

I finally managed to calm things enough to go down to see J as planned ( You can't let these things beat you) and we went off with her daughter D for a really nice meal at Joe Rigatoni's in Darlington. But by the time I got back to her place, the bag had gone again. I changed it there but decided to go home as I didn't want to have to be up all night there.

Of course Sod's Law meant that the bag actually behaved all night!

But the vigil did mean that I had the chance to finish listening to the audiobook of Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code which I've been falling asleep to night after night since I got out of hospital. After all that time, it's become curiously addictive and I think that after all, I really quite enjoyed it. I saw a trailer for the film at the cinema the other day - definitely on the list to see!

A quiet day at home today - I'm up to Newcastle tonight for the Final Farewell Meal with work colleagues. I'm staying at the hotel where the meal is just to keep things simple.

Oh - and those nice people at Friends of The Heroes have published some more of my writing. This time a short story.


1 comment:

The Apologist said...

Ta. At one point I was going to call it "Prick Tease".

In the interest of self-publicity, there's a podcast of it here along with some of my other stuff...