Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Bagburster Bain!

Up sharp this morning ( to a dusting of snow) for my appointment on the ward with Mr Bain.

It was supposed to be at 8.30 but of course, there was the usual game of hunt-the-consultant before he showed up at about 9.30. A quick poke at my tummy before the conversation - more about that later...

I mentioned to him about the night sweats and he said he thought that that was probably related to the abscess - which he thinks is still there, although a lot smaller. I told him that I had a good deal less pain from it now.

I also asked him about the possibility of bringing the reconnection forward before the chemo. He said he understood my point of view and was sympathetic but actually tthe issue at the moment was that they wouldn't be able to either start the chemo or do a reconnection while I still had the abscess.

He decided that he was going to do a physical examination there and then so took me off to one of the side rooms. When I took my trousers off, I discovered that the bag had burst as a result of his prodding earlier and I had a go at him about it. I must say he was very contrite and apologised - but it actually gave me a chance to make the point about not ever quite knowing the circumstances in which the bag might go. ( OK - a direct assault from your consultant is a bit unusual...)

He called a nurse to get me a new bag sorted but as it wasn't too bad and I didn't have a template with me, I just said to do the examination and I'd sort myself out when I got home. So - the usual painful poke in the bum - but actually maybne not quite as agonising as before. ( Unless I'm just getting used to it that is...)

He said that he thought it was still there but much smaller.

The upshot is that he's going to book me in for a CT scan ( to see what the abscess is looking like) and a Contrast Study ( to check that there are no leakages in the resection) in the next few days and then use the results of those to make a judgement about doing the reconnection before the chemo. But when I asked him specifically, he said that he wasn't ruling out the idea of doing the reconnection first, which as far as I'm concerned, is very positive. As ever, once I got to pin him down, I do get the impression that he listens to me.

But "Bagburster" is now his nickname as far as I'm concerned...

Apart from all that, it's been a pretty good few days - I'm managing to get more done around the house ( including putting my dustbin out last night) and I'm making sure I walk a little bit further each day.

But now - a short nap before lunch I think!

No comments: