Monday, September 04, 2006

Twenty Four!

A good day today, all in all.

The session with Dr C the oncology consultant went much better than I expected. She is happy for me to complete 24 treatments in total after all which means just another seven to go. That means that my last chemo should be on October 20th and if you allow about a month for recovery from that, then I'm on schedule for my reconnection towards the end of November! It feels so good to be able to write that so clearly.

That was then followed by the barium X Ray which is to check that the join in my bowel is fine. It's an uncomfortable and emabarassing prodeedure but the staff are always very gentle and discreet. Afterwards the radiologist told me that, although she's not an expert, it looked fine to her. So - more good news.

Geting back into work, even from home was hard though. Loads to catch up on and I just decided to be very disciplined and take it very easy. It's the right approach I think but the next three days away are certainly not going to be easy at all. And now I also have to plan for an absence in November... ( I don't know how long that will all take - I need to check. I get the impression that the op itself is fairly short and straightforward but I think it's the recovery that can depend on how one's individual system readjusts. )

I was really pleased to have a counselling session this evening to try to make sense of all that as well - it really helped.

On top of that, J and I had a great, boozy, chatty, laughing catch up meal last night. I so love talking with her and being with her. Jer daughter D is back after three months in Greece on Wednesday - J is so exicted about it, bless her!

So - that's all the positive stuff. But somewhere I feel this weird undercurrent of concern or anxiety about the future. This is all really just the end of the beginning isn't it? Lots more to go before I'm finally declared cancer free.

1 comment:

The Apologist said...

Thanks Kat - you're right - I do feel more direction-ful.

Be in touch soon