Friday, December 09, 2005

The flickr wall



If flickr itself is a strange post-modern cultural phenomenon, then the group of people who maintain the flickrwall in central Newcastle must be the zeitest of geists.

I lurk shyly on their periphery - fascinated yet at a distance.

Tonight I decided to join them on a mission to re-draw the wall. It had been erased by the forces of Local Authority and, armed with chalk and torches we were to meet and reconstruct. ( I think beer was mentioned too) I've never met any of the people with whom I talk fairly regularly on flickr but because of all the events of the last week, I felt it was a really important thing to do.

But I chickened out.

I drove up to Newcastle, drove past them all at their work on the wall and just couldn't bring myself to stop. Turned the car round and came home.

I think I'm just trying to do too much too ordinarily. I'm far more vulnerable at the moment than I realised. I've always tended to be fairly shy about meeting new people and I think all the stuff this week just exaggerated it.

So - sorry flickrpeople. Next time eh? Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

The Apologist said...

Thanks tas - yeah - I should have done it. I will next time. Looking forward to seeing the wall anyways.

Apprentice said...

It was pretty full on yesterday, the biggest Newcastle Flickrmeet ever, I think. Come over to mine sometime, the first time it's easier if there's just a couple of people, and after that you'll be okay.

Thinking of having an open house thingy over the hol period and that'll be fine.

The Apologist said...

Thanks Brenda - that'd be good.

Sam said...

I feel so sad, but I guess a large group of people giggling and snorting while wandering up and down a dark alley may not be the best way to meet new people - unless its for cheap sex, in which case the reverse might be true, who knows.

The Apologist said...

Oh blimey! There was cheap sex too?! Why did no-one tell me?