Friday, December 09, 2005

Anima Sola



OK - I know it's a soul in torment praying for delivery.

It's also a girl.

And not me - I'm not in that place.

Googling led me to this in a way - just stumbling around. ( I understand that you can actually Stumble. I didn't. This time. )

The actual place I started was the song, " Anima Sola " by The Magic Numbers.

Now - I'm not that keen on their stuff. I mean, it's OK and I've got it. But it's not quite my thing.

Except this particular song.

And in the small hours last night while we had the music just playing in the dark it came on:


He was the only son who wouldn't stay
Barely twenty-one when he went away
Anima Sola keeps me wired
If I grow cold I should grow tired
But I'll get to Mexico before I die

He was the only son who couldn't lie
Just like a setting sun without the sky
Anima Sola keeps me wired
If I grow cold I should grow tired
If I grow cold I will grow tired
But I'll get to Mexico before I die

Anima Sola keeps me wired
If I grow cold I should grow tired
If I get cold I will get tired
But I'll get to Mexico before I die


That one line shouted at me:

I'll get to Mexico before I die...

And tonight that took me round the circle that begins with this picture.

I wanted to find out what the Anima Sola was - and why Mexico in the song? And I discovered that this picture is Mexican. More importantly, more Googling told me that

on the Mexican Day of the Dead, it is traditional to add a candle to the home altar display for the "Forgotten Soul". Some people light the candle outside, by the roadside. They build a brick screen around it to protect it from the wind.

And why Mexico?

Well, ever since J and I saw the Frida Kallo exhibition at the Tate in the summer, I've wanted to go to Mexico - especially to The Blue House in Mexico City where she lived with Diego Rivera.

And, through those several degrees of seperation, it was like that song in the night was reminding me.

I have dreams to fulfill.








No comments: