Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Down to the business...


...of being treated for cancer with a bump today.

After my early start in London I got to the NCCT well in time for the appointment with the consultant radiologist.

On the way up to the hospital, I discovered that my taxi driver had had oral cancer six years ago. It's bloody everywhere!

Sat and waited for the appointment. And waited. And sat. And waited.

No pretending we're in for ingrowing toenails here. I watched a succession of the gaunt, brave, manic, confused and damaged go for their appointments. After what I've seen today - thank God it's my arse!

Was eventually seen by Mr Dobrowski the consultant 1 1/2 hours later!

In spite of my best efforts, I liked him. Dry, helpful and Polish. Explained my treatment :

Five consecutive days radiotherapy on the site of the tumour. Not to shrink it but to "disinfect" the area around it in preparation for the surgery which would be the week after. Reduces the chance of recurrence.

Dates? Either week beginning 9 January or 16 January.

Will also need another CT scan before then.

Side effects? Bit of diarrhoea is all.

Oh - and possible impotence.

Sorry?

Possible impotence.

WHAAAATTTT???!

Apparently it can be a side effect of either the radiation or the surgery. And not always permanent. But still - a shock. And something to talk to Mr Bain about some more tomorrow evening.

Home then to try to sort Christmas a bit - I'm now on holiday till 3 January! Wish it felt like that. Mum and G coming on Friday. ( He was 70 today. In reply to my birthday text, he replied " Made it!" As if he might not have.)

Then a call from Denise the Stoma Nurse. I said I was keen to talk to her because this is the bit I'm most worried about at the moment. I just shudder when I think about it. Got an appointment to see her in Chester le Street next Wednesday.

I must say, they do seem to have pulled this all together very well so far. And the radiotherapy and Stoma Nurse are NHS anyway - only the hospital and surgeon are private.

And the whole thing might be NHS yet. I discovered today that the North East Chamber of Commerce Healthcare Scheme that I belong to only covers cancer ( and heart conditions) up to diagnosis! Their glossy brochure ( or my booklet) doesn't say anything about that, does it?

The woman who administers the scheme isn't in today but will call me back in the morning. Something else to discuss with Ian Bain tomorrow night though. But he did say right at the beginning that it wouldn't be a problem to go NHS with him if I needed to. Maybe I could fund the hospital bit myself? Will have a think.

So. A long day today. But things are moving along. Of course that's good, but I do sort of feel swept along in it a bit as well.

Next update Friday probably. Posted by Picasa

No comments: