Thursday, January 12, 2006

Plumbing

I came back from work tonight to the letter confirming my hospital date as 23 January and an appointment for my pre-op assessment on Tuesday 17th - thank goodness the cough has shifted. Also went to see my GP tonight - really just to make contact. Of course, no-one had told him yet that I have cancer! But he was great - said if there was anything he could do - if I didn't undertand anything about my treatment - if I needed a doctor to shout at another doctor for me... Great - just what I needed.

But it's all getting closer now and that means I'm getting less connected with other stuff - work for sure - but also the house. I'm still trying to sort my plumbing problem ( as in plumbing - not plumbing..) from before Christmas out - had the builders in today to look at my water tank. It needs moving - the better option would be to get a combi boiler fitted but I need the work doing while I'm in hospital and I don't think I could bear to come home to that much disruption - or my sense of it. It's the downside of living alone - you always know where everything is...

Something needs to be sorted before I go in ( they're coming back next week with another plumber - a sort of second opinion) - at the moment I often don't have hot water if the boiler decides not to refill. Fine at the moment - I can shave from a kettle of hot water and have showers - but not afterwards.

But I felt paralysed by indecison about it until I talked it through with J. ( She's away in London at the moment. Back tomorrow.) It feels clearer now -I just focus on what I want. um.. hot water. As J said, a hot bath may well be really important to me when I get home. Focus on getting that, however much it costs.

hmmm..maybe I should rename this blog. " My Plumbing" ?

1 comment:

The Apologist said...

No - I should have explained. It's a lot more complicated than that. The daft b**t*rd who owned the house before me ( and thought he could DIY) placed the cold water tank right up against the roof. I mean - RIGHT up. So now the ballcock is stuck and the tank won't refill ( unless I hit the side of the tank and get lucky)there's no way to get to it.

So the whole tank needs lowering for access. And the builder tells me that that means also lowering the ceiling below ( such is the Previous Owner's idiocy) and once you get to about 2 1/2 grand for that ( plus the ubiquitous VAT) then a combi boiler with no need for a cold tank (which of course also adds value to the house)is a realistic alternative.

There is a sort of middle way to do with a different sort of boiler actually. Thing is - I just don't need this bollocks at the moment!

How's YOUR ( real) headache?