Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Joining the dots

Thanks for everybody's good wishes today. I'll make this fairly short as it's late and I've had a long day. Oh - and the power unit on my main PC has blown - so I'm doing this from the ( slower) back up. Like I need that problem this week...

I had the first radiotherapy session this morning. Because it was the first one, it took longer (about an hour) because they had to check all their measurements against my tatooed dots. It should be quicker tomorrow.

You don't feel anything at all while it's happening - the machine just whirs and hums and ( I think) rotates around you.

They warned me about all the side effects again before they started - tiredness and diarrhea mainly - but also said that as this is only a short treatment, it should be OK. And if I do get any side effects, they'll kick in when I'm in hospital next week...

But I did feel queasy and tired as the day went on - but I didn't sleep much last night so I really put it down to that rather than side effects on Day One.

Went into work briefly but came home at 3.00 and slept for two hours! Felt much better after that - then out for a quick couple of pints in Durham with my brother O who is up here on business. Nice to see him. He then went back to his hotel in Newcastle and I came home. A nice long chat with J - we're both suddenly realising that this is for real I think.

Oh - and I had lunch with my friend S ( who lives locally) and our mutual old university friend H who is over from Singapore for a couple of weeks staying with her. He had brought me the most amazing batik sarong! Wasn't that sweet of him? I'm wearing it as I write - will try and post a picture later in the week.

Day Two of radiotherapy tomorrow - and the pre-op health assessment, It's all go!

No comments: