Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Mozart

Radiotherapy Day Two. As they promised, it was a lot quicker today – but as the day has progressed, I’ve got more and more tired again, so I’m wondering whether this is a side effect. Going to have another earlyish night I think.

Yesterday while I was having my treatment, they played some fairly innocuous rock music – but today it was classical. Very nice – very tasteful.

Then I recognised one of the tunes. Mozart’s Requiem.

Always look on the bright side of life eh?!

Then off to Shotley Bridge Community Hospital for my pre-op assessment with Clare the Nurse Practitioner.. All my blood, breathing, blood pressure etc are fine – so all set for next Monday. She was very helpful and clear – and a U2 fan…

As well as speaking very highly of Iain Bain my consultant (who left a message on my mobile tonight asking how I was!) she told me more about the surgery:

(There’s a new Bowel Protocol at the hospital she says…)

In no particular order:

  • They’ll give me an epidural for the pain ( I think I was talking about that with one of my American blogging friends? Wasn’t sure if they gave you it in the UK. Maybe just a swig of rum and some leather to bite on..?)

  • As well as waking to the ileostomy, I’ll be catheterised when I come round. But not for long.

  • I’ll be in Intensive Care for the first 24 hours – this is normal.

  • Day after surgery they’ll get me up for a while to get me moving – lessens the risk of blood clots.

  • I should expect to be in hospital for two weeks

  • Probably most useful of all – make sure that everyone who touches me ( staff or visitors) has washed their hands – and don’t be embarrassed to ask them if they have! It’s the MRSA thing..

I’m sure there was other stuff that I probably should have written down – it’ll come to me.

Days seem to pass very quickly – and very slowly at the same time. But I think I’m doing OK.

1 comment:

The Apologist said...

Thanks Peter - that's very helpful. The nurse yesterday was very clear about all that stuff too. Just a shame we have to worry about that on top of everything else!