Friday, May 19, 2006

This Working Life...

Blimey! And people do this everyday...?

A long long work week which started with the trip down to Birmingham on Monday night and a two night stay at the Premier Apartments in Birmingham. After the shoebox they put me in last week this was certainly better - a nice proper flat with kitchen and all mod cons. It was probably a bit overpriced for what it was and a bit grubby ( rather worrying large dark stain in the middle of the bedroom carpet - it wasn't me, honest... ) but nice enough and an easy walk to work.

Where I had my first Board Meeting on Tuesday morning. Lots of giggling, smirking and besuited smugness ( 9 men 1 woman..) and I kept expecting Reginald Perrin to appear. But friendly enough - a lot of corporate bottom sniffing going on and of course, some testing out. But I survived. No - I did well actually.

Best quote from the meeting: " How do you plan to privilege your time across the Group…? " Any ideas what that means?

And I'm getting into the job more now - it appears that I've been put in charge of a loss making division and am seen as the Great Hope to dig them out of the clarts. The Chief Exec ( to whom I now report directly - my boss seems to have been moved sideways..) wants my recovery plan on Monday...

Waddever. Don't they know I'm ill? (Cough)

Back from Brum late on Wednesay and straight down to London for the day yesterday - not easy to drag myself out of bed at 5.00 am again I can tell you. The meeting I went for was something that normally I wouldn't have bothered with but it was a fairly junior member of staff meeting a senior person from a large client and I think she wanted some handholding. And it got me back into the swing of meetings.

A long sleep on the train back. I stayed on till Newcastle to get my haircut and to have the facial I'd promised myself ages ago. It was lovely - 2 hours of bliss. J who did it ( yes - another one!) was really nice and declared my elemental temperament to be Fire... Always a level of b*ll*cks in this stuff but I've booked another one. My skin is quite sore generally the moment at it certainly feels soothed this morning.

And so it's Friday! Loads of work to do at home - and then a visit from J to look forward to tomorrow. Chemo VI this afternoon ( I've changed the day) and then a visit to counsellor J just to check things out.

I know I'm working too hard - but I seem to be handling it at the moment. I get very tired but seem to be able to make up for it with more and deeper night-sleep.

No sign of the new table yet... I let you know. Should be today...

No comments: