Monday, May 15, 2006

Bristol

Back last night from a lovely ( and surprisingly sunny) weekend in Bristol with my dad, M, his wife M and my sister S.

The flight on Friday was delayed for an hour because of bad weather ( hence my initial pessimism about the weather for the weekend) so when I got there about 10 there was only time to slug back some wine before toddling off to bed.

I slept and slept and slept and so by the time I surfaced and was breakfasted it was late morning. We drove into Bristol for a bit of shopping but mainly so that I could see the changes that have happened in the 30 years since I last really lived there. And of course, some are huge - whole swathes of the city centre completely different and some just the same. I suppose most cities are like that.

A quiet afternoon at their home becoming increasingly engrossed in the FA Cup Final. A great match. J rang later - nice to speak with her. We've not seen each other for a week and I do miss her. ( Should see her next weekend) She's off to Lindisfarne for a few days with some friends to concentrate on writing and relaxing - which she really needs.

Then in the evening out for a meal at The Hunter's Rest. Quite a nice setting ( once we'd got ourselves away from the hen party...) and the food was OK although I was beginning to flag a bit towards the end - tired and feeling a bit queasy. ( I love Bass but I don't think it likes me much at the moment...) It was great to chat with M and M and any conversational rocks were deftly and amiably avoided. A nice evening.

Sunday morning was another lie in and then twelve doors down the road to see my sister S ( see previous blog) and her partner J and their beautiful house - really nicely and tastefully refurbished. Three hours of coffee chat and catch up passed in no time at all before we ambled back down the road for Sunday lunch.

Then after a lovely family post lunch laze with the papers, it was suddenly all too soon ready to go and get my flight home.

The flight back was much better and I was home by 8 and in bed by 9!

A lovely weekend.

And chemo side effects? Well - the bag is working a bit more - I was up about 5 times with it last night. And I'm a bit tireder and feel a little more sick. But it all feels manageable at the moment.

Off to Brum for work again tonight - I think the accommodation should be better this time. And loads to do today - including awaiting The Arrival of My New Table! But I'll probably blog/brag about that seperately later...

No comments: