Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Running in the Rain

I'm feeling a lot better today ( lighter in mood too!). It's great that so many friends have been in touch about my forthcoming op. Thanks

Had a nice chat with J on the phone in Canada early this morning. Sounds like she's having a good time being feted by geeks!

Looking forward to seeing her on Saturday - I'm meeting her at Heathrow and we'll travel back up North together. I'm in London with work tomorrow but then I'm taking a day off on Friday to pursue my own path of geeknesss. I'll also be staying with my brother A and his family so it'll be great to be Uncle Simon for two nights!

Tonight I went out in the torrential rain to hear Jacob Polley and Owen Sheers read in Durham. Glad I took the trouble. I've heard Jake read a few times and really like his stuff. I'd not heard Owen before but he was excellent too. Why wasn't I able to be that sharp in my early thirties? Why aren't I now?

As I was leaving the venue, it was still pouring with rain so I ran to the carpark - a few hundred yards. Suddenly I realised "I'm running"! No thought of bag or cancer or ill health - just a bloke running in the rain. It felt wonderful!

1 comment:

The Apologist said...

Yes - it was amazing. The first time I was conscious of not being conscious of the bag - if you see what I mean! Ironic that (or maybe because?) I won't have it for much longer.