Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Getting On With It

I'm still feeling a bit sick. I spoke to the chemo clinic yesterday and they said it sounded like some kind of viral infection. They said to keep an eye on things and to ring them on Friday morning to let them know how I feel. It's certainly better today and and I'm intending to go to Birmingham as planned tomorrow but I wouldn't want to have another chemo treatment feeling as I do at the moment.

Tied in with this is the outcome of my hospital appointment/review this afternoon. I'd decided to ask Mr Bain to set a date for my reconnection sometime in the autumn and that I'd fit in as many chemos before that as I could before then. Allowing for the month interval between the end of chemo and the op itself that I need and holidays, then I reckon that's up to another 10 more treatments taking me to about 25 in all. That's enough payments on this policy in my view.

Mr Bain was in the clinic but I didn't see him but the Registrar instead. I explained what I wanted and he went off and asked the Great Man himself. He came back 5 minutes later with the OK !

So - maybe this is the beginning of the end! Next steps are for me to have a Barium X ray just to double check that all is well ( the doctor today examined me and said it felt fine to him ) and then for Mr Bain to call me to discuss what that means for the reconnection - sometime in October? I think I'm in for a difficult conversation with Dr Coxon in Chemotherapy ( I expect I'll be called for the monthly check up with her on Monday ) but I'm now much clearer that this is what I want.

I also saw Sue the Stoma Nurse just for a catch up but all's pretty much OK with the bag at the moment so it was short, friendly and chatty.

What to say about all that? well, I'm trying not to count too many chickens and to steel myself up to go with the rest of the chemo but really I'm just impatient to get on with the rest of my life now.

Another early night tonight.

2 comments:

The Apologist said...

Hi Jules

Thanks SO much for the response - sometimes it just feels like shooting these things out into the dark. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but glad to hear that you're well in to the treatment.

I there's anything I can help with or offer further, please don't hesitate to contact me off-blog.

Best wishes

Simon

The Apologist said...

Yes - I know those twisting nights...

Thanks for the links - especially the second one which I've posted in the sidebar as well.