Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Touch Wood...

...I may be getting on top of that pain problem.

I had a really uncomfortable evening last night and just couldn't get settled. At one point I was almost tempted to call the doctor. In a way it was self-imposed because I've been cutting down on the codeine - but I really don't think that codeine helps much really anyway - it's such a blunt painkiller. Everything is fine for about 40 mins after I take it and then the pain comes back again and I have to wait at least 4 hours before I take another one. I know I need something more specific for this particular pain.

Anyway, early evening I suddenly rembered that I had some Diclofenac in the house which I use for occasional relief of gout when I get it. I knew it was OK to use because it had been given to me when I'd been in hospital - I just hadn't used it much. ( They have this funny system in hospital that with some of the optional medications that you're prescribed, you actually have to remember to ask for them - and if you don't, they put it down as a Refusal - and then when your medication is reviewed, it's taken off the list.)


So I took a tablet at about 6.30, and, as I say, still had a very uncomfortable evening on the sofa. ( Even Real Madrid V Arsenal didn't really console me...) At about 11.30 I decided to go to bed but took another tablet anyway thinking to give it a chance to work through.

And sure enough, I had a really good night's sleep ( just one trip to the toilet) and woke this morning with no pain! I mean it - none.

So I've had a good morning doing ( but trying not to overdo) stuff - including another walk to the Co-op. (It's bloody cold out there I tell you!) It's a little bit sore now - but by no means as bad as it has been.

I'm not going to push things too much - so I'm going to have a quiet afternoon and rest. But well, hopefully...

1 comment:

The Apologist said...

Wise words Indie- thanks. She wasa real help.