Saturday, December 09, 2006

Dead Poets

To the Colpitts Christmas Party with J last night - and the Dead Poets Competition. Basically - dress up as a Dead Poet, read a bit of their work and challenge the others to guess who you are. (I won it two years ago as Thomas Hardy.)

( A note to overseas readers: This sort of thing passes for Fun amongst the English Middle Classes…)

This year, J went as Anne Sexton and I went as Olip Mandelshtam - and we came second! ( Bit miffed to be beaten by Kingsley Amis actually - but we were magnanimous - and quietly bitter - in defeat.)

A freezing cold wait for a taxi in Durham but eventually home - where we were both overtaken by bad stomach cramps! Bad wine? Sausage rolls? Who knows? But not pleasant at all.

We woke late and gingerly this morning to something near recovery and then went off for a lovely walk in the cold autumn sun . I was very tired at the end of what was probably a 2 mile walk and my tummy was quite sore, but at least I know I can do that sort of thing again. It's all about retrieving normality isn't it?

I did have all sorts of plans for shopping and stuff today but I've decided to take it easy today and try to start fresh early tomorrow.

No comments: