Sunday, June 24, 2007

Reading

This Rest Of Your Life Thing is really peculiar. On the one hand, I've been feeling a bit odd, sort of disconnected and panicky this week. J my counsellor and I have talked about it a lot - it almost feels Existential - which would make some sense. I'm worried about my colonoscopy ( delayed now until August) and frustrated that I can't get myself fitter. It's like my life has a kind of judder in it at the moment. ( And of course, as Jules has just discovered, the cancer thing or its possibility is always there - usually hidden, sometimes less so.)

On the other hand, I've just finished reading my first proper book since I discovered I had cancer more than eighteeen months ago. It's been so frustrating continuing to see or hear about all these amazing books, buying them and then watching them pile up unread or partially read just because I couldn't concentrate on them. ( Physical or psychological? - I'm really not sure)

But this week, I did it. So thankyou Lionel Shriver for your amazing novel We Need To Talk About Kevin.

2 comments:

Garry Nixon said...

I read a lot of books but have these strange spells in my life when I can't enjoy reading. The last such spell lasted a long time, months, and I'm only just getting over it now.

What I'm saying is, maybe it's nothing to do with being ill - maybe the literary bit of our brains needs to back up every so often?

The Apologist said...

Yes - maybe you're right. I've been reading magazines - music, teccy etc - the whole time. It was just Big Books. Anyways I'm glad it appears to be over now.