Saturday, August 18, 2007

If the boot fits....

Hi - from a wet Lake District on a v-e-r-y s-l-o-w internet connection.

I really did too much yesterday. Two 7 mile walks on the fells ( one of them with 1700 feet of ascent - and of course, descent...) was pushing it. Today I ache all over - but, reassuringly, not on any of my operation sites - I just did too much.

But one thing I did realise yesterday was that I needed to replace my boots. They've done good service but really dug into my heels and hurt the balls of my feet when I was out yesterday. (No blisters, thank goodness.)

So today I drove out in the rain to Glenridding ( Alfie groaning that we might be having to climb another ridge...) and limped into Catstycam where they were incredibly helpful and spent a good hour finding exactly the right boots for my very wide feet.

So - I'm spending the rest of the day at the hotel taking it easy ( a nice bottle of wine beckons this evening I think... ) and tomorrow I'll give the new boots a gentle tryout.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting the fit right for boots is awkward. I usually find that the size is always different. I bought went to buy some, when they came back, I said they were the wrong size. In the end I had to get a pair one size larger (I have bought this type of boot several pairs running over time).

Regards
Peter

The Apologist said...

I agree - this time I had to get two sizes above my usual one - mainly to allow for my odd shaped feet and thick socks. But it seems to have worked because I just did a very comfortable four miles.